Sunday, May 14, 2023

Zong - SrProject -Week 1 Reflection

  I can’t believe that it’s been a week already since the Senior Project started. Compared to my original plan, my actual situation is a little bit different since I changed my blueberry Basque Cheesecake to the original flavor, which is only cheese, due to my late material arrival. However, in general, I would call it a successful week since I did execute my plan in general by baking three kinds of flavors of Basque Cheesecake (Original, Matcha, and Oreo). More importantly, I did see my improvements throughout the week.

One thing I like about baking, or simply making foods, is that I can LEARN from each experience. Different ovens, brands of ingredients, or ways to stir the “solution” can create unexpected consequences. For example, for softening the cream cheese part, I thought at first that room temperature softening was enough, which is what my tutorial said. But it wasn't until I tried it myself that I realized that softening at room temperature was far from enough to completely melt the cream cheese, and it would leave little white particles inside the cream solution, especially in my finished Matcha-flavored one. I learned from this experience and practiced melting cream cheese in water in my Oreo's cake, and my choice proved to be the right one!

The same principle applies to the way I chose my sugar. In the beginning, when I went to H.E.B. to buy the ingredients, I just picked the most “organic” one. Nevertheless, the particle of the organic cane sugar is way bigger than the granulated sugar, which wasn’t dissolved when I mix the cream cheese with it. Even though I don’t know if there is a flavor-wise difference or a texture-wise difference, I still rebought the granulated sugar. I feel like sometimes baking is scientific because you need to test your recipe, experiment with it, and then refine it to grams.

To be honest, I originally chose this program, baking, only because I was into it for a long time, but could never find a period of time to bake or find an excuse to buy the tools and molds. Nonetheless, what I truly gained from this experience is much beyond what I expected at first. Hope that I will enjoy the final week experience with my two new Chinese special flavors of Basque Cheesecake1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Zong - SrProject D16 - Preparation for the Final

    Senior Project D16 Yiling Zong Location: Houston Tue May 23rd, 2023 3:06 pm Today's Hour: 3 hrs Total Hour: 81 hrs Tomorrow afternoo...