Sunday, May 21, 2023

Zong - Week 2 reflection

It is impressive to actually create and bake 5 Basque Cheesecake with different flavors on my own in two weeks. The final 5 cakes are Original, Matcha, Oreo, Black Sesame & Soybean, and Taro & Osmanthus.

No photo for my original flavor one because it was too ugly


During this week, instead of copying the steps from recipes and tutorials online, I started to create my own, which, of course, took a longer time than I expected because there were tons of unimaginable struggles and obstacles on my journey. For example, a simple question, how can I make sure if I’m putting so many layers in the mold that it’s going to spill or overflow the maximum capacity of the mold? OR, after peeling off the skin of the steamed taro, how can I know if the taro I had is enough for the cake? Unknown challenges are coming every day. My taro went moldy, my heavy cream was not enough to finish the whipping part, or my mochi got oversteamed, these are all difficulties I would know only after I’ve been through the whole process. More importantly, finding an angle to film and keep the kitchen clean during baking is really a harsh job. In a word, this journey was not easy, but I did have a lot of fun.

Baking, to me, is been a dream for a long time. My dream job has been having a bakery for a long time. It’s too overwhelming to say that the senior project helped me achieve my dream, but it actually is — partially. I’ve always considered too much about “If I buy this material, I’m not going to use it all up. It’s a waste.” or “My parents don’t like sweetness. Who’s going to help me finish it?” However, I guess I used this period of time correctly: to do something I really want to do and find out my dream major/job/future. Senior project can be a tiny gap year for me. But that’s enough. I think opening a bakery can still be one of my dream jobs in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zong - SrProject D16 - Preparation for the Final

    Senior Project D16 Yiling Zong Location: Houston Tue May 23rd, 2023 3:06 pm Today's Hour: 3 hrs Total Hour: 81 hrs Tomorrow afternoo...